American HotelHistoricalCorner of Main and MacDonaldSite of the borough’s first hotel, where George Washington may have slept while visiting the foundry regarding supplies for his army. Demolished in the 1970s after decades of neglect. Now currently a mini-park
Arch Street Row HousesHistorical31-53 Arch StThese three "four-in-one" buildings each have four one-family units that were built by Taylor-Wharton for its employees.
Arch Street Fishing TrailRecreationalArch StLocated along the South Branch of the Raritan River, this is a popular spot for fisherman. The short trail runs along the river on Arch Street, and has various spots to park and fish off the land, or if preferred, wade into the river. It is a lovely area with many trees, adjacent to both Union Forge Park and the Jerricho Ball Fields.
Arch Street SchoolHistorical13-15 Arch StThis was High Bridge’s second school and housed students from 1846 until 1903; it is now a residence
Arches Railroad BridgeHistoricalArch StThe most famous landmark in High Bridge, its namesake is concealed here. The High Bridge Branch of the Central Jersey Railroad was completed in 1852 and included a 1,300 foot long wooden bridge supported by eight stone pillars 112 feet above the Raritan River. The bridge was costly to maintain and together with concerns over structural integrity led to the decision to fill the space beneath the bridge with an earthen embankment, leaving two arched culverts through which the river and the road beside it could pass.
Cain PropertyOpen SpaceCregar RdLocated west on Cregar Rd., across from the golf course. There are 24.7 acres in High Bridge. The NJ Water Authority purchased the land from the Cain family for the Willoughby Brook. The brook flows down into Spruce Run, coming from the pond in Voorhees State Park. There are no hiking trails, just a field and trees.
CircaBusiness37 Main StLocal restaurant with historic ceiling. In earlier times this building housed the High Bridge Post Office, a haberdashery, confectioner, billiard room, and then a market.
Columbia TrailRecreationalStarting point: CommonsThe Columbia Trail (part of the Hunterdon County Park System) is used for many activities such as bike riding, walking, bird watching, and more. It runs 5 miles from High Bridge to Califon through Ken Lockwood Gorge and continues to Morristown. Originally owned by NJ Transit, the railroads carried passengers and peaches.
Cregar Farm & Lime KilnHistorical116-118 Cregar RdThe site of the Cregar Farm & its kiln. The Lime Kiln was built between 1725 - 1741 in the field of the Cregar Farm. ( The Cregar Family was one of the town’s founding families. ) Limestone was gathered from the fields and burned. The ashes were mainly used as fertilizer for the fields. They were also used to keep the outhouses sanitary. Whitewash was also made from the ashes. The remains of the kiln stand along the west bound side of Cregar Road.
Cregar Homestead & Bank HouseHistorical97 N. Main StThe original home of the Cregar family, one of the first High Bridge families. Built 1725. Behind the homestead is its original tenant house built in the architectural style known as a “bank house”. Once a servant house it also served as an underground railroad safe house.
Croghan HomeHistorical150 Fairview AvenueOne of the oldest houses in High Bridge
Dutch Reformed ChurchChurch23 Church StThe Dutch Reformed Church was built in 1870 by acclaimed architect George Post on property donated by the Taylor Iron and Steel Company.
FirehouseOther7 MarylandOne of two firehouses originally build in the borough; the other was on West Main on the other side of the train tracks by the Commons. Two separate firehouses were needed in the days when the borough experienced heavy freight traffic since the trains could block main street for long periods and prevent fire fighting vehicles from one side of town reaching the other. Both were incorporated in 1902 and were combined in the 1990s
Fitzgerald ArchitectureHistorical67 Main StHistoric Main St. store front
GraystoneHistorical21 Nassau RdA beautiful historic mansion built in 1907 by Knox Taylor for his wife, Lucy. The house has fireplaces in the living room, dining room, and each bedroom.
High Bridge Borough HallHistorical71 Main StBuilt by the Cregar Family around 1900 this century-old home housed the police and court & jail and now borough offices.
High Bridge Commons on the WyeRecreationalMain St.The “Commons on the Wye” is located within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. It covers approximately 7 acres. It was originally owned by New Jersey Transit with a track for train turn around. After years of neglect, the Commons was acquired by the town, which cleared the overgrown grass and garbage. Now the Commons is used for trail and town parking, a park, concerts, movies, and an open-air market. There is an open field AND a picturesque gazebo which was remade by 2 Girl Scouts for their gold award, along with a swing and several picnic tables. Located on upper Main Street, It is the starting point for the Columbia Trail.
High Bridge Elementary SchoolHistoricalFairview AvenueBuilt in the 1960s; houses grades K-5
High Bridge Hills Golf CourseRecreational203 Cregar RdOne of the largest areas of open space in High Bridge is the High Bridge Hills Golf Club. It has 93.4 acres in High Bridge and fewer in Lebanon and Clinton Township. The town bought it in 1999 to keep open space as a full 18 hole golf course. The original owners were the Cregar’s, and then it was the Uhlig’s dairy farm. Currently the clubhouse is being used for golf tournaments and banquets. High bridge residents get a discount. the Entrance is located on Cregar Road.
High Bridge LibraryHistoricalMain St.The High Bridge library was started in 1914 on the edge of the Taylor Wharton foundry pond. In 1938, the library moved to the municipal building on the second floor in the back of the building. On May 8, 1965 the library moved to its current location where the Liberty Hose Fire Company had been housed.
High Bridge Methodist ChurchChurch36 Church St
High Bridge Middle SchoolHistorical50 Thomas StBuild in 1903 and originally housed K-12; the original section contained 8 rooms. An additional 12 rooms were added in 1913.
High Bridge Train StationHistorical
Jerricho Road Ball FieldsRecreationalJerricho RoadLocated on Jericho Road in High Bridge, these are designated open space and Green Acres. The three ball fields consist of approximately 8.72 acres and the land is connected to another 26.96 acres, east of the power lines which provide a beautiful scenic area. The ball field area was acquired by the state of NJ from the Cantanzaretti family. The North Hunterdon Little League has been using it for many years and has built three baseball fields.
Jerricho Road PropertyOpen SpaceJerricho RoadJust up the road from the ball fields off Arch Street is a 47 acre area owned by NJ Fish & Game. Acquired in 2004 from the Grant family, this area was originally farmland. It is now available for passive recreation and bird watching. It includes a trout producing brook that flows into the south branch raritan river. Note: There is a small parcel of private property on it.
L. H. Taylor HouseHistoricalSpringside LaneBuilt by Archibald Taylor, this was a major farm in High Bridge
Lake SolitudeRecreationalRiver RoadA historic lake created by Taylor-Wharton to power the factory
Lake Solitude FallsHistoricalRiver RoadSpillway at the south end of Lake Solitude; considered one of the most picturesque locations in the borough
Lake Solitude Falls Power PlantHistoricalRiver RoadStructure adjacent to the dam and Solitude House property, formerly used to generate hydroelectric power for the steel mill.
Manning Farm PropertyOpen SpaceDewey AvenueFormer farm and pasture, now owned by the Borough and maintained as open space
Mayor Rose HouseHistoricalDewey AvenueHouse built by General Taylor for his family at the time of the Civil War. Also the house of Mayor J.H. Rose from 1907-19010, from whence it derived it's common name. Also the site of a speakeasy during the Prohibition Era of the 1920s. The stage and other remnants of the rowdy nightspot still remain.
Mine RoadHistoricalMine RoadThe iron mines here were critical to the iron industry in High Bridge. Formerly know as "Irish Town" because it was settled by Irish immigrants during the days when the railroad was being build. The iron ore mines operated from 1730 to 1889 and were among the oldest and most prolific mines in the state.
Nassau ManorHistoricalNassau RoadFormer home of Taylor-Wharton executive. Now single family residence.
Nassau Woods and TrailRecreationalNassau RoadThe Nassau Trail is located on Nassau Road and runs through open space that consists of 52.4 acres. This marked trail is the result of a local Boy Scout’s Eagle Scout project. In 2011, local volunteers began efforts to convert the trail into a 5-mile long multipurpose trail, which was completed in 2012. The trail runs from the top of Nassau Road, near the edge of the Highland Ave. property, to the lower end of Nassau Road. The property was originally owned by the Taylors, then the Cassella family and was purchased by High Bridge in November of 2007 using Green Acres funding. The property was originally used as farmland and woodland management. The trail has some slight rocky hills and a small brook and is a wonderful hiking trail. In exiting the trail at the lower end of Nassau Road you can easily pick up the entrance to the Solitude Trail.
Pfauth PropertyOpen SpaceBetween the Commons and Cregar RdThis is a 43 acre portion of land between the Commons and Cregar Rd. It was acquired by the NJ Water Authority, but is maintained by High Bridge. It is a beautifully wooded area, with a brook, large trees and much native wildlife. It has continued as a natural woodland area, as it was when the original owners had it (the Phauth family). There are currently no marked trails, but to the avid nature lover, it is a lovely and peaceful area.
Raritan RiverRecreational
Red RowHistoricalWilson RoadA series of foundry worker's homes built by Taylor-Wharton along the lower portion of Wilson Avenue
Riverside LiquorsHistorical45 Main StOriginally an art-deco bank, with many of the original architectural features preserved and intact.
Silverthorne SchoolHistoricalCokesbury RoadFirst known school in High Bridge.
Solitude HouseHistorical7 River RdBuilt for the manager of Union Forge, it served as a prison for John Penn, the last colonial governor of Pennsylvania, during the Revolutionary War. George Washington and Aaron Burr visited Solitude House. The Solitude Property is located by the Nassau Trail and consists of the Solitude House, Lake Solitude, and Waterfall, making up about 35.5 acres of land. The land was acquired by the town as open space in 2002. The land was originally bought by the Taylor family and used for the Taylor Wharton Co. The Solitude Property is now used for canoeing, fishing, a museum, and watching birds.
Solitude House AnnexHistorical7 River RdOriginally a barn, this small building later housed a company store for the Taylor Iron and Steel Company and the a "bachelor's quarters" for foundry workers.
Springside FarmsHistoricalSpringside LaneThe area of Springside Farms is located on Springside Lane which is off East Main Street with total acreage of ninety. The buildings and 36.5 acres are owned by High Bridge. It was acquired for open space in 2002. Once owned by Knox Taylor, it was a dairy farm until the 1950’s. There are several unmarked walking trails, and various buildings to be renovated (currently unsafe to enter).
Springside FarmsOpen SpaceSpringside LaneThis farm housed Union Forge’s animals and has many old buildings
St. Joseph's ChurchChurch59 Main StThe original St. Joseph’s Church was built in 1879 for Irish immigrants but burned down on July 9, 1898. It was rebuilt very quickly for about $800. Back in the 1870’s, the local Protestants were not happy about having a Catholic Church built in the area. In order to have the Catholic Church built on Main St., the Protestants had to be tricked into thinking that the property was going to be used by the Central Jersey Wire and Fence Company. There was a lot of surprise after finding out that St. Joseph’s Church was actually going to be built on that property. The oldest piece of St. Joseph’s Church is the cornerstone made in the year 724, making it almost 1,300 years old. This cornerstone was brought over by an Irish Immigrant, who got it from the ruins of St. Brigid’s Abbey in Ireland. It actually survived the fire in 1898.
Taylor-Wharton Iron and SteelHistorical3 Washington AveThis factory complex (including water tower), which made munitions for the Revolutionary War, was crucially important in shaping High Bridge’s history
TISCO Avenue HomesHistoricalTisco AvenueDuplex homes for Taylor-Wharton workers
TISCO ComplexHistoricalUnion Forge ParkOnce part of the larger Taylor Iron and Steel Company property, the TISCO Complex was the center of the original Union Iron Works tract of 13,000 acres dating from 1742. The Site contains the original stone administrative office building that dates to Colonial times, the early 20th century Shop “E” building from the Industrial Revolution and the late 19th century iron truss bridge. Taylor-Wharton’s administration building and Shop E are now owned by the borough. Contains 27 acres and is located off Washington Avenue, across from Union Forge Park. It was acquired in 2006 with Green Acres money to preserve it as open space. It was originally owned by the Taylor family and used as a factory property mill. It has several historical buildings and is now used as a wildlife habitat.
Union ForgeHistorical7 River RdThe original iron forge that led to High Bridge’s eventual settlement
Union Forge Park and FieldsRecreationalWashington AvenueUnion Forge Park is located on both sides of Washington Ave. It is 50.95 acres. It was acquired in the 1970’s for recreational purposes. Its original owners were the Taylor Family. This area once housed Riverside Park, which included a pavilion where dances were held. On warm summer evenings people would gather to enjoy music, dance, and relax with their neighbors. You can enjoy activities there such as the playground, baseball, basketball, football, and soccer. It also hosts High Bridge’s Annual Community Day and the annual bike race.
Union HotelHistoricalUnion StOne of High Bridge’s two former places of lodging. The Union Hotel built in the 1800’s was a home away from home for travelers. Conveniently located next to the railroad station it was a busy place. Part of the original building remains today as a multiple family dwelling, but the peaked roof and the front porch have been removed.
Willoughby Brook BridgeHistoricalBuffalo Hollow Road
WindcroftHistoricalNassau RoadBuilt by Taylor-Wharton as "bachelor's quarters" for some of the workers. Now a multiple family residence.